Thursday, June 25, 2009

Collage Experimentation



Lately, I have been experimenting with collage. My current studio space is small, smaller than what it has been in past years... so, I have scaled back my work to 2-dimensions! Not sure how long this phase will last, but I am having fun playing with blocks of color. I have created and decorated lots of paper through the years: marbled papers, paste papers, bubbles, stamps, string, stencils, rubbings.... Plus, I have a large supply of purchased decorated papers that I use for my paper mache' creations. Each paper has a story, and I - a memory of that paper. Each scrap is precious. My capricorn nature delights in methodically cutting each shape, and organizing pieces into color schemes. I was hoping that collage work would free me, allow for more loose and organic abstract work, but instead, a certain structure compels me.







No comments:

Post a Comment